[Wellington-pm] Roundup of last Night's Meeting

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Tue Sep 9 14:50:37 PDT 2008

Hi Mongers

Thank you to Dan for doing a great job showing us through the features
of Komodo and OptiPerl.  I predict a side effect of the talk will be
some die-hard vim users pimping out their vimrc files to emulate some of
the cool features Dan showed off.

The module I referred to for translating regexes to 'English' is
YAPE::Regex::Explain (which in turn requires YAPE::Regex).  They're not
packaged for Debian but both install easily via dh-make-perl

It translates this regex:

  /^200[78]\d{4}.log/

Into this explanation:

NODE                     EXPLANATION
(?-imsx:                 group, but do not capture (case-sensitive)
                         (with ^ and $ matching normally) (with . not
                         matching \n) (matching whitespace and #
                         normally):
  ^                        the beginning of the string
  200                      '200'
  [78]                     any character of: '7', '8'
  \d{4}                    digits (0-9) (4 times)
  .                        any character except \n
  log                      'log'
)                        end of grouping

For those of you who want to follow up on some more of the YAPC::Eu
conference talk videos the site is here ...

  http://yapc.tv/

The next meeting of Wellington.pm will be on Tuesday October 14th.  We
already have Andy lined up to talk on Perl Tidy.  Let me know if you'd
also like to volunteer to speak.

See you next month