[Wellington-pm] When "use strict" gets taken too literally

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Wed Jun 22 00:06:23 PDT 2005

Sam Vilain wrote:
> Just a little reminder of why we like Perl so much!  :)

G'day Sam,

Thankyou for sharing these photos with the rest of us.  If I lived in Wellington
and had been considering attending a Wellington Perl Monger meeting, this post
of yours would have me seriously reconsidering.  Instead I live in Melbourne,
where this kind of thing on the PM list would be unacceptable.

I suspect you think your mail was funny and that you may feel I'm over-reacting
when I say that your post makes Wellington PM appear rather women-unfriendly.
If I'm right, and you do think I'm overreacting then you might find some benefit
in reading the "HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux" document on the linux
documentation project site: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/

The message in that applies equally well to how to encourage women in Perl and
most other male-dominated technical fields.

Now if *I'm* being out of line by criticising behaviour on a list to which I am
merely a guest, then I'll welcome being told so by Grant.  If, on the other
hand, anyone else feels that pictures like these don't belong on an
open-subscription, Perl focussed, technical mailing list then I encourage you to
  respond so that other list members know where they stand.

All the best,

     Jacinta

--
    ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |