[Wellington-pm] Next month's meeting

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Mon Jul 11 16:23:16 PDT 2005

Matthew Hunt wrote:
> a) is anyone interested in a talk on debugging?
> b) would you want a talk about the perl debugger? (I'm less interested
> in this)
> c) would you want a talk about debug modules?
> d) would you want a talk about debugging methods in general? (I'm more
> interested in this)
> The likely option is a bit of all of them, with more of a leaning
> towards the process rather than modules and using the perl debugger.

One very cool module that I mentioned in passing, during my talk on my
trip to YAPC::Taipei earlier this year, is Devel::ebug.  This is an
ACME product which was started during the YAPC hackathon.

For demonstrating the process of debugging, I think it's ideal; as it
can display in a web browser, highlight code, etc.  It uses a
client/server protocol, with a very small debugging core.  This assists
its application to environments like Perl in an embedded web server,
where this is normally problematiC.

In summary, it's shiny.

Of course I still prefer the good old tty debugger, but that's probably
because I was reared on DOS debug and gdb.  If I want interactive
debugging I'll use M-x perldb from emacs.

Sam.