[Wellington-pm] There's life in wellington-pm!

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Fri Aug 6 17:12:42 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 00:38, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> G'day Wellington PM members,
>
> Anyone out there?

Hi Jacinta - thanks for the nudge.

> I think it would be a great way to start conversation happening if
> everyone who still pays attention to this list were to introduce themselves.

Excellent idea.

I'm the nominal 'group leader' having inherited list management
functions etc from Dave Moskovitz.

I've been programming in Perl since the mid 90s and have been fortunate
to work in roles where I was paid to do it.  I'm currently working at
Catalyst IT where that happy trend continues.

Some of you may know me through CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/~grantm/>
or Perl Monks <http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=grantm>.  My
latest Perl-related foray is the cover story in brian d foy's recently
revived Perl Review magazine <http://www.theperlreview.com/> but you'll
need to subscribe to read that :-).

A number of people have indicated that they would be keen to attend
meetings if we got that going again.  Coincidentally, I have been
thinking about that recently.  Here's what I was thinking ...

Catalyst's office is downstairs from Lan Place where the Wellington
Linux User Group hold their monthly meetings.  WellyLUG meetings start
at 7:30pm and are held on the second Monday of each month (so there's
one this Monday).  I was thinking that we could piggyback off that by
slotting a Perl Mongers meeting in from 6:00 in the Catalyst boardroom
(I haven't asked yet but I'm sure it would be OK).

I haven't managed to get along to a WellyLUG meeting yet because the
thought of hanging around in town till 7:30 is not particularly
appealing.

Of course other people might prefer to attend both meetings but not in
one night, so let's have some discussion on the subject.

The next question of course is what a Perl Mongers meeting would
consist of.

I'd like to run a few sessions for Perl beginners to potentially build
the base of interested people.  There are also a few Perl subjects that
I could talk on but we need other people to volunteer to speak too.

The idea of 'lightning talks' is also worth exploring.  These are a
chance for someone to spend about 10 minutes on a subject of interest.
An elaborate set of presentation slides is not required and if we can
get a few short talks lined up then hopefully there'll be something
for everyone.

So, to sum up.  How about we plan a meeting for Monday the 13th of
September.  I can commit to having something prepared for Perl
beginners.  Can anyone else volunteer to speak on anything?  Or,
can anyone suggest a topic they want to know more about?

Regards