[Vienna-pm] YAPC::NA 2012 / Livestreams ..

Christoph Jokubonis christoph.jokubonis at univie.ac.at
Wed Jun 13 12:32:58 PDT 2012

Hello,

if you don't fancy the Silverlight/Moonlight based webcasts fed by the
talks at YAPC::NA 2012 you might want to watch those livestreams via
VLC, et.al.

0. overview of the talks can be found here:
  http://act.yapcna.org/2012/schedule

1. go to the schedule pages:
  * Lowell Dining Room:
http://ics.webcast.uwex.edu/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=1de9c319-010c-4585-8617-210873935dfa
  * Room 325&326
http://ics.webcast.uwex.edu/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=90b5b79a-ceb6-4084-8cca-8977ff1aa729
  * Room 313
http://ics.webcast.uwex.edu/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=1c56eaf7-1178-4cb9-bf47-53e717ea74c2
  * Vandenburg Auditorium
http://ics.webcast.uwex.edu/mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=5b80d7ae-5fc7-46c4-98ba-5f770a8be940

2. watch out for a talk that is "On Air" and grab the peid GET param
from the link.
E.g.:
  /?peid=1dde05aea2624c69a12db461afb00a6b1d

3. insert some dashes into the parameter
  * one after the 8th character,
  * another after the next 4 characters,
  * another after the next 4 characters,
  * another after the next 4 characters,
  * delete the last 2 characters.
E.g.:
  1dde05ae-a262-4c69-a12d-b461afb00a6b

4. prepend "http://video.ics.uwex.edu/"
E.g.:
  http://video.ics.uwex.edu/1dde05ae-a262-4c69-a12d-b461afb00a6b

5. use VLC or similar to watch ..

.. fairly simple ;) .

tata, Christoph

p.e.: Disclaimer: this is the result of a faily quick reverse
engineering done on a network dump, hence, I'm not sure how valid this
method is ( although it worked so far and I'm watchin apeiron's talk
right now: http://video.ics.uwex.edu/c13399bc-767f-4ce0-8e45-fe9ab20e0790 ).

Christoph Jokubonis                  christoph.jokubonis at univie.ac.at
Vienna University Computer Center    Phone: +43-1-4277-141 84
http://www.univie.ac.at/ZID/         Fax:   +43-1-4277-143 38