[tpm] [Fwd: Re: Vim turns 30 today!]

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Nov 3 20:18:21 PDT 2021

On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 21:20 -0400, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

>     AR> How many lines of great code have been created with Vim's
> help since then?
>
> No idea. I've been living in the emacs world :)

I spent a few months using emacs in the 1980s, but found i got more
done with vi.  One day i was about to leave for dinner with some
friends, and realised the bug in some  C i'd been working on. So i
fired up vi, and needed to indent from  here to matching close brace;
i'd never done that in vi before, but it was obvious how: >% was the
command.

Afterwards i thought about what i'd have done in emacs - researching
how to do  it, maybe writing a LISP procedure to do it and binding it
to a key equenc, documenting it, testing it - by which timemy friends
would have finished dinner and gone home, and i've have forgotten about
the original code!

Well, that was me, i know plenty of people who swear by emacs :)

That was in 1983 or so, long before vim!

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org