[tpm] [Fwd: Re: Vim turns 30 today!]

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 11:27:37 PDT 2021

ed

ed is the Standard Text Editor

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/E/ed.html
https://wiki.c2.com/?EdIsTheStandardTextEditor

  From: patl at athena.mit.edu (Patrick J. LoPresti)
  Sender: news at athena.mit.edu (News system)
  Subject: The True Path (long)
  Date: 11 Jul 91 03:17:31 GMT
  Newsgroups: alt.religion.emacs,alt.slack

  When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
  *and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
  'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
  that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

  Ed, man!  !man ed

  ED(1)		UNIX Programmer's Manual		ED(1)

  NAME
	ed - text editor

  SYNOPSIS
	ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
  DESCRIPTION
	Ed is the standard text editor.
  ---

  Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
  alphabetically, but because it's the standard.  Everyone else loves ed
  because it's ED!

  "Ed is the standard text editor."

  And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair.  Just look:

  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root	      24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
  -rwxr-xr-t  4 root	 1310720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

  Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
  Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
  message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
  and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

  "Ed is the standard text editor."

  Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

  golem> ed

  ?
  help
  ?
  ?
  ?
  quit
  ?
  exit
  ?
  bye
  ?
  hello?
  ?
  eat flaming death
  ?
  ^C
  ?
  ^C
  ?
  ^D
  ?

  ---
  Note the consistent user interface and error reportage.  Ed is
  generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
  the novice with verbosity.

  "Ed is the standard text editor."

  Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

  ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
  AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
  BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN
  SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

  When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
  help screens and cursor positioning code!  I just want an EDitor!!
  Not a "viitor".  Not a "emacsitor".  Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
  ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

  TEXT EDITOR.

  When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
  "edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi?  No.  Emacs?  Surely
  you jest.  They chose the most karmic editor of all.  The standard.

  Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on.  If you
  are an idiot, you should use Emacs.  If you are an Emacs, you should
  not be vi.  If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION.  THE
  SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
  FAITHLESS.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

  ?