[tpm] This month's meeting: Hacking with Hugo

Olaf Alders olaf.alders at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 19:53:23 PDT 2019

I thought it would be fun to have another hack night.  A few years ago we converted the TPM web site from static to a Dancer app.  Then a few years later we converted from Dancer to Mojo.  Now I think we should convert to a statically generated site via Hugo.  Why?  Because it’s fun and, to be honest, we’re only using Mojo as a templating system.  Generating the site via Hugo would be an interesting learning experience and may well make the site easier to update, since you don’t have to install a bunch of Perl dependencies first.  Also, the sad truth is that the site really doesn’t get updated, so reducing any friction to updates is probably a good thing.  Hugo is not written in Perl, but I don’t think that should stop us from adopting it.  It’s good tech.

On a related note, the perl.com site is also generated by Hugo.  I thought that we could try a two pronged approach this week.  Some of us break into a group and work on converting the TPM site.  The others have a look at this outstanding ticket: https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom/issues/194 <https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom/issues/194>  If, as part of our meet, we can contribute to the Perl community at large by fixing this bug, I think that’s time well spent.

To hear more about Hugo: https://www.thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2019/05/tpdp-e27-static-website-generation-hugo/ <https://www.thepolyglotdeveloper.com/2019/05/tpdp-e27-static-website-generation-hugo/>

To prepare for the event, you can follow this tutorial on how to contribute to perl.com: https://www.perl.com/article/how-to-write-your-first-article-for-perl-com/ <https://www.perl.com/article/how-to-write-your-first-article-for-perl-com/>  That will get you started with Hugo.

I don’t plan to prepare a presentation for this evening.  It’s my hope that people can bring their laptops with Hugo already installed and we can muddle through it together, hopefully learning helpful things in the process.

Olaf