[tpm] Review of LAMP meeting / April 2018

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:50:52 PDT 2018

Hi All,

Thanks to the folks who came out for this month's meeting, and to Adam
Prime who volunteered OANDA to host this month.

My original plan when no speaker came forward was, "Cool, I get to pick a
topic!" My enthusiasm waned when I realized that haven't really done
anything that could be called cutting edge lately.

So then I hit on that somewhat amorphous idea of "What questions would you
ask someone for a LAMP position?"

Having prepared some notes about what Linux / Apache / MySQL and
Perl/Python/PHP/Ruby points might be relevant, I was intrigued to find my
preparation mostly useless as Mike Stok talked about how his work mostly
deals with deploying code to AWS as a platform, using Erlang Cowboy
(similar to Starman) or nginx as the webserver, Amazon's RDS as the
database (their version of PostgreSQL), and developing code in Elixir
(apparently distantly related to Ruby on Rails -- see
https://elixir-lang.org/ for more information).

Part of what Amazon provides is load-balancing goodness, along with the
ability to have a single machine handle 500K to 1M connections -- since AWS
processes are really, really lightweight. We also talked about how AWS was
flexible in ramping up necessary cores for increased demand, as well as
more or less following demand around the planet as the day progresses. it
sounds like a pretty awesome platform, if gigantically complicated. (There
was also talk of how East-1 goes down every six months.)

We also discussed Perl 6, NQP and the MoarVM, and the challenges of snytax
highlighting Perl 6 -- since you can re-define the syntax on the fly,
that's hard for an editor to highlight properly.

There was also some discussion about Web Assembly (wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly), and we talked about using
Elixir for Inline programming in Perl; we discussed how there might be
challenges exchanging data objects, but Google protocol buffers -- or just
sockets -- could be used to communicate.

We need a speaker for the May meeting, tentatively scheduled for May 31
back at Tek Systems. Please contact me!

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org