[tpm] Fwd: Perl 7

James jamex1642 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 10:07:18 PST 2017

Meant to reply to the list as well....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James <jamex1642 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [tpm] Perl 7
To: zoffix at zoffix.com

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:16 AM,  <zoffix at zoffix.com> wrote:

> Perl 7's already taken, bruh! https://github.com/perl7/perl7/ :)
>
> Sorry to say, but "+-1" sounds like a terrible name to me. Even worse than
> having a digit and a space as part of the name, it has two
> symbols and an ambiguity on how to spell them: is it "+-" or "±". Also:

It's only a suggestion, so I'm happy you responded.

To clarify, it's +-1.

It's a pun of sorts, in the sense that Perl is an onion, and an abuse
of notation for the successor (predecessor) functions of lambda
calculus.

What follows is only a hypothesis.
I reserve the right to retract my statements.

In the words of Alan J Perlis:

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer
science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful
lot of fun. Of course, the paying customers got shafted every now and
then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously.
We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful,
error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I
think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new
directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer
science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't
become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world
has too many of those already. What you know about computing other
people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is
only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is
intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you
were first led up to it, that you can make it more.
            Quoted in The Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs by Hal Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman and Julie Sussman
(McGraw-Hill, 2nd edition, 1996).

The reason I snarfed the wiki quote on entropy is that we should be
looking, at least in theory, slicing entropy in the sense that UNIX
slices processor time between processes.

Computationally, and computer languages are all about expressing
computation, the +-1 operator is where I think things are headed.

Does Perl 6 exist because of Perl 5, or the other way around?
Does a 386 exist because of some super computer built way into the
future, or the other way around?
Crazy shit. It might be.
However it may be, technology is only a means to a end.

I included a link to a article by Mr Kleene that suggests that there
is an computable number, from which all algorithms can be defined.
It's described right in the abstract of that paper. I think I want to
be focussed on expressing that number. That's my motivation.

There is a such a thing as statistical mechanics, a branch of physics
that deals directly with a universal indicator called entropy. I think
this looks similar to way category theory deals with functions.
[http://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2846&context=compsci]

I suggested the name because I wanted to grasp the notions of close
enough, when talking about Perl; can we talk about both Perl and Perl
6 at the same time, or for that matter Perl 7.

> * It can't be used as an identifier in many of the languages, so anytime
> anyone would do Perl 6 related
>     work in another language they'd have to bastardize the name. This is the
> issue that Larry pointed out with "6lang" as the name.

Good point.

> * It doesn't look like a name, so it'll inevitably be confusing when used in
> brochures and posters. This is especially
>     a pain point because currently we're looking for an *alias*, not a fully
> new name, to be mostly used by Marketing.

Another good point. I wasn't thinking about marketing exactly. But it
could work the other way as well. C++ is a similar name to +-1, and
it's popular. Also, wondering how is the identifier problem described
above currently dealt with in respect to C++.

Just a joke here: C++ = C++;

> * It reminds me about "+1"/"-1" convention used to vote on things in places
> like GitHub. I suspect "+-1" in that scheme would be interpreted as
> "indecisive".

Now that is something akin to what I'm thinking; Consensus is useful
notation for a language.

> Also, some comments on your comments on reasoning:
> * Perl 6's modules do not need to end with `1`
> * There's no `+-` operator, but `+-1` is two prefix operators

Maybe we are sitting on a interrupted stack, and it's in polish form.

But technically you are right, at this point I'm just imagining an
operator that looks like +-1.
I have a friend who is a math professor and he usually never knows
what I'm talking about either.
It's up to me to make it clear. Sorry for being obtuse.

> But thanks for thinking about it :) I'll add it to the pile of all the other
> name suggestions to look over during 6.d language release.

That's all anyone could hope for.

> Cheers,
> ZZ

Cheers,