[tpm] Avoid King & Spadina

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 20:01:02 PDT 2013

> >> King and Spadina has been ripped up for major TTC construction.
> >>

> I suppose we're stuck with streetcars for another generation, since the
> TTC's just bought a batch of those bloody anachronisms.

They may actually be petty hard to displace. I suspect they carry a
substantial number of people and would require a good number of bus to
replace them. At their current length, around 3 times would a good guess,
but suspect that's too optimistic because buses may be a little slower.

Then, there is the running cost. They are just a couple of electric motor
on a steel tyres. They are way too cheap to keep running that no one would
even try to compare their upkeep cost. Sure, rails are expensive, but thats
already a sunk cost.

>From motorist point of view, I admit they are a pain.

> Street railways made perfect sense when the rest of the road was a fine
> rose-growing medium, and any paving was cobblestones that could be removed
> and replaced easily. Tearing up concrete every twenty-five years does not.
>
> Apologies for an off-topic rant.

+1, not going to do it again