[tpm] Follow-up on Feb 2012 Testing Talk

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Mar 4 11:49:27 PST 2012

Hi James,

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 20:29:31 -0500
James E Keenan <jkeen at verizon.net> wrote:

> So it turns out that the folks organizing the DC-Baltimore Perl Workshop
> () want their tutorial-type presentations to run in 50-minutes timeslots
> -- not 20.  Which means I can actually add considerable material to the
> "82% of what you need" talk I gave last week.
>
> What else should I cover in a talk for those new to Perl testing?  I
> welcome your suggestions.
>
> (Below:  My own brainstorming.)
>
> * Introduce ok() at an even more basic level: use of Test::Simple::ok()
> in a program (as distinct from testing functions from a package).
>
> * Definitionally-oriented introductions of Test::Builder and Test::Harness.
>
> * Mention of other prominent Test::* classes (though I actually don't
> use them much because I already accomplish so much with Test::More).
>
> * Introduction of concept of coverage analysis.
>
> * Introduction of concept of test-driven development.
>
> * Illustration of use of 'make test' and './Build test'.

Possibly touting my own horn:

You may wish to cover Test::Count -
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Count/ , which allows the developers to put
annotations inside specially-formed comments in the code, which are processed
by the module, which in turn updates the count in the plan. I've defined a
perl-like mini-language for use there, which is lacking many potentially useful
features, but works fine for me, so I'd rather not bloat it at this point.

In case you're wondering about why a plan is needed in the first place because
done_testing() is the wave of the future, see:

* http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/39916

* http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/37811.html

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish