[tpm] help with developing an open source program for Ontario

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Jun 14 09:32:03 PDT 2012

The new Ontario Building code has specified updated requirements for
the energy performance of the building envelope.  Previously, the
Ontario requirements aligned with ASHRAE 90.1 requirements and ASHRAE
published a computer program to calculate the envelope performance
based on some fairly simple inputs.  Because the Ontario requirements
are now different, the software has the wrong performance
metrics.  The calculation equations and all the coefficients are
available in a text form.  I could develop and excel spreadsheet but
naming all the coefficients would be a long process.

There are two paths to showing compliance with the Ontario building
code - the prescriptive path and the system performance path.  The
prescriptive path mandates that all envelope elements meet the
minimum requirements.  The system performance method allows
trade-offs.  Some building elements may be lower than the minimum but
the calculations weigh these elements against elements that are
better than minimum.

I estimate that about 25% of new building will pass using the
prescriptive path.  The other 75% will either have to be designed
differently to meet the minimum in those few locations where the
trade-off method would allow them to pass.

This may not be a clear scope of work at the moment.  I would like to
offer some financial support as obviously I will be making money from
my consulting business using such a program.  On the other hand, I
will make any program available to all practitioners in Ontario.

The simplest iteration would take a text input file and the perl
program would spit out the analysis for that input file.

I have a PDF of the calculation methodology if anyone is interested.

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7
Tel. 416-203-7465