[tpm] Follow-up to Jan 26 2012 Meeting PAR Example and Presentation

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sun Jan 29 13:24:49 PST 2012

Hello all,

It was a pleasure meeting all of you and I enjoyed all the different
and clever solutions that were presented. Most of all, enjoyed the
fact that the nearby bar offers Steam Whistle, so you can be sure I
won't take my car to the Mongers meetings anymore ;-)

Anyway, as promised, I am publishing the PAR/GTK example for everyone
here. I changed the namespace of the sample project to "pargtk" and
also threw in the presentation so it's all kept in one place. I have
allowed anonymous checkout to the project's repo and anyone wanting
write access is welcome to provide to me a user/pass credential pair
and I will allow write access to that person.

To get a copy just:  svn co svn://svn.yabarana.com/pargtk

The code I showed you is in the trunk. I also eliminated the binary
from the repo because it took too much space and it also requires a
build in each arch/pltaform so it really made no sense to keep such a
large binary file in the project. The .pl executable should run
without building the PAR file, and you should make sure it runs before
attempting to build the binary.

To build the single file binary just type make. For those that ask for
write access: please don't upload the binary again!

The presentation folder is in LaTeX/Beamer but the PDF is already
built so no need to to make it.

This small GTK project uses Glade3 and I think it could also serve the
purpose to expand it to a fully functioning app to teach Perl/GTK
development in future PM meetings. If there is any interest in Perl
GTK Devel, I can probably develop this example a little bit more, and
perhaps make a series of GTK workshops.

As was mentioned in the meeting PAR + Perl GTK could be a n
interesting cross-platform option for many.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass