[tpm] Kick starting a london perl mongers

Abram Hindle hindle1 at ualberta.ca
Wed Nov 30 09:34:43 PST 2011

I've got a bit of rambling to do about the subject. I have some
experience organizing groups as I helped out with the Toronto Ruby Users
Group, Victoria Perl Mongers, KW Perl Mongers, Toronto Perl Mongers,
Toronto Lisp Users Group, Victoria Open Source Users Group, etc. to
different extents.

Organizing is hard work and you're going to do have do a few hours of
leg work to have a successful meet.

My recommendation would be to start a temporary meetup.com meetup group.
The software is irritating and the service annoying but at least you
advertise your group there. The cheapest long term platform beyond the
PMs is twitter and github. Make a twitter and github.

I recommend starting a lonon perl blog and getting on planet perl so
perl bloggers will notice you.

I recommend finding the london on reddit and announcing there.

Get on the london linux users group list, ask the moderator if you can
advertise.

Find any other form of "nerd church" even other languages like the
python group or ruby group.  Be prepared to volunteer a tutorial.

Also UWO is a good resource. Try to find a computer science club or
group there and advertise with them and get their permission to post a
poster.

Once you get the word out I recommend finding another keener (not Jim
Keener necessarily) and make them 2nd in the command. You need someone
to do things when you're too busy to.

Free food is helpful. I recommend following Kitchener Waterloo
(KW.PM.ORG)'s methodology. Anonymous donor donates pizza at the start of
the meet. First 15 minutes of a meeting are news and eating pizza.
Eventually people are ready to pay attention. This allows you to have a
6:30-7:00 start time and not stress people out because they know they
are going have food. Then afterwards fine a nearby establishment that
isn't too loud (Burgundys was actually really nice for not being
excessively loud for a pub) and stay out and visit.

You probably need to decide if you want to just do social meets, or have
some kind of formal lecture structures. Formal lectures need chairs, a
quiet room and a projector. This is where finding UWO people will help out.

If the Perl Mongers doesn't pan out, try a dynamic languages group or an
open source software developers group.

Regardless, be creative at the start, provide people with some structure
to latch on to and once you have people they will probably help you
direct it.

* Social Networks in the real world are important but the virtual social
networks can help you advertise [twitter, reddit, pm, github, etc.]
* Free food is good at the start
* Social or Formal
* Find a 2nd organizer :)
* Latch onto UWO, Computer Science undergraduates are both interested
(they should be!) and useful (room booking and projectors). A faculty
sponsor is better because their power to book rooms is much stronger.

abram