[tpm] [u-u] Usage Based Billing - What you should know..

daniel at benoy.name daniel at benoy.name
Wed Feb 23 13:29:27 PST 2011

>> If they want to give people unlimited bandwidth on their
>> pipes don't you think they should be able to?
>
> I haven't been able to penetrate the rhetoric on either side to
> determine if that's an option or not.

 If you want, you can do some research yourself into these costs.  There
 are two networks your data passes into before reaching the internet at
 large if you're a Bell or Rogers customer.  First, the local network
 controlled by your ISP that gets your data to nearby central facilities,
 and from there to main datacenters.  Second, there's the datacenter's
 peer connections (the 'internet backbones').

 You can go check out some major bandwidth providers and see what their
 rates are.  They generally charge a fixed rate based on link capacity,
 or on 95th percentile usage based billing.

 As for the ISP network, typically the interconnects between the local
 user facilities and their datacenters (called 'backhauls') will be dark
 fiber connections or simple LAN extensions supplied by third parties and
 they won't pay based on usage at all, and in the case of cable, the
 actual cable lines themselves become a kind of shared network for each
 neighborhood.  (The current network system of this type in wide
 deployment is called DOCSIS 3)

 Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to research these types of costs for
 yourself, because Bell and Rogers aren't about to tell everyone how
 efficient/inefficient their network is.  To complicate matters further,
 the CRTC enforces a 'one cable and one phone carrier per area' rule.
 (All third party providers are actually just leasing lines from Bell or
 Rogers.)  So, with their monopoly position over their respective
 territories, there's no way to compare competing DSL or cable provider
 prices, so we're forced to take their word for it when they claim that
 $2/GB is simply the cost of bandwidth.

 The way I see it, the government just needs to let multiple companies
 run their cables to your house, so that they can compete on the basis of
 their entire network, from top to bottom, and this problem will
 evaporate as third party ISPs like teksavvy elect to just run their own
 phone, fiber, and cable lines rather than deal with Bell and Rogers.
 (Or, under the threat of that happening, Bell and Rogers are forced to
 shape up)