[tpm] lightning talks - 30 October 2010

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Tue Sep 28 05:54:48 PDT 2010

See http://to.pm.org for more details.

Date: Thu 30 Sep 2010 18:45 EDT
Venue: Nexient, Classroom E (5), 12th Floor
Topic: Lightning Talks
Emcee: Fulko Hew
Synopsis:
Short, 5 to 15 minute talks from a variety of people, on any subject as long as it's got at least a tangent to Perl.

The order of talks listed here does not imply any order of presentation.

Fulko Hew: Render On Caesar

Mike Stok: Don't Quote Me On That

Scott Elcomb: Perl & Android - Getting GUI
Recently the Android Scripting Environment (ASE) was renamed Scripting Layer 4 Android. The second release (SL4A r1) was just posted a couple days ago which address several issues from my talk a couple months back - including packaging scripts for distribution on the Android Market and creating GUI's with a WebView.

Scott Elcomb: Pirate Party of Canada - One year on
Last year I described a bit about the Pirate Party of Canada and we had some short discussion on IP & Privacy matters. There's been a lot of activity in the last year and I'd be happy to talk a bit about what we've been up to.

Alan Rocker: Whats new in Perl 5.10 and 5.12

Olaf Alders: Getting Started with Dist::Zilla

Olaf Alders: Mangling CPAN with Plack::App::Proxy

Tom Legrady: Lightning Perl 6

Dave Doyle: Digging into CPAN

Phillip Smith: "Bricolage for dummies"

James E Keenan: Where Do C Programmers Come From?

James E Keenan: Wha' Do We Ain't Got?

Location: 2 Bloor Street West, (usually) 8th or 16th floor. The room number will be announced on the mailing list a few days before the meeting. It will also be left with the security desk in the building (main floor lobby) shortly before the meeting starts (i.e. around 6pm).

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Directions: This building is on the north-west corner of Bloor and Yonge, accessible by subway from Bloor station. Pay parking is also ample in this area.

Security note: The elevators in the building are "locked down" after 5:30pm             to people without building access cards. Leading up to the meeting someone will come down to the main floor lobby every few minutes to ferry people upstairs. There will be a number of scheduled trips:

	• 17:30
	• 18:00
	• 18:30
	• 18:45
	• 19:00

After 19:00, you can reach the access-card-carrying guy via a cell phone number that we'll leave with security in the front lobby. The room and floor numbers will be left with security too.

If any latecomers call up there will be a final group elevator run at 19:10. After that, access will be ad-hoc; call up from security and somebody will try to come down and let you up.

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.