[tpm] Threadbare

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Sat Dec 11 11:38:09 PST 2010

> * How does your language handle scalability issues?

I don't even know how to frame that question.

An answer could be something like "well" or "poorly", or it could be
countered with a question like "what do you mean by 'scalability'?"  Because
the follow-up questions seems to deal with concurrent streams of
execution... is this the very definition of 'scalability'?

If so...

>  * Applications that require many concurrent threads of execution?
>    * How does the language interact with threading?

(list the various core Perl threading libraries here... see "
http://perldoc.perl.org/Thread.html" as a starting point)

Also, various CPAN threading extensions exist, like POE (roughly equivalent
to "Twisted" in Python-land), and "Coro".

   * Does it offer other models for managing concurrent processing?

How about the good old Unix fork/exec model?  That's still the standard way
of doing such things in Perl.  However, there is a wonderful CPAN module
called "Parallel::Iterator" which makes mananging child processes via the
fork/exec module at least as easy as dealing with threads is in other
languages.

Cheers,
 - Richard