[tpm] Upgrading Perl on Debian & Derivatives

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Mon Aug 30 10:48:42 PDT 2010

  If I was you, I'd use the separate Perl. I know that the Debian base
Perl is pretty good, but it is installed for a different purpose (to
help manage the OS) and cannot be guaranteed to be maintained as you
need. It isn't too bad to do this, and most of your modules will
probably build OK. If you stick with the OS Perl there is a risk that an
OS update breaks something for you, or that you break the OS in some
subtle way by upgrading a system module.

I tend to use PATH hacking rather than a link, though, so that perldoc
and the cpan command and its friends relate to your Perl rather than the
system one. I just tend to regard the OS Perl is best not touched, or
even used, when I can help it.

I learnt this approach through bitter experience with OSX and CentOS,
both of which had slightly funny Perl versions, which generally were
best left alone. I did slightly break my Mac briefly (temporarily) by
upgrading a CPAN module in a way that was incompatible with some Perl
stuff that Apple used somewhere internally.

All the best
Stuart