[tpm] Upgrading Perl on Debian & Derivatives

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 10:34:38 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I've recently begun working with a custom CMS.  When installing the
required modules, at least one of those modules tells CPAN to upgrade
Perl (from 5.10 to 5.12); this completely messed up my previous Debian
5 environment.

After that little learning experience, I've moved to virtualization
(under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) so I can take snapshots and simply revert to
an earlier image when/if things blow up.  Unfortunately, I still
haven't figured out a way to safely upgrade the system-wide Perl
installation without affecting other installed debian packages.

It looks like they're working on getting a package out[1], but I can't
wait... I need to get this working asap.  If worst comes to worst,
I'll just do same as before (build, install into /usr/local then
symlink /usr/bin/perl to the 5.12 install).  It was ugly but mostly
sorta worked.

Any suggestions? TIA!
- Scott

[1] <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=53447>