[tpm] TPM SDL Presentation: Post-Mortem Notes
thakore.kartik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:04:36 PDT 2009
Since I didn't have a fancy pants presentation slides like you guys I
guess I have to make the notes now.
How I started Perl:
-Got into to it at work
-Coworker suggested CPAN
-Tried to make a decent game with SDL Perl 2005 version (
- Ratings were PASS (1) FAIL (72) UNKNOWN (119) (I think the 1 pass
- Got ticked off and started fixing it in GitHub
- Got David (old maintainer) to give me access (David also helped me a lot)
- Doing that for the last month and here I am
What SDL is (this is for Richard mostly):
- simple answer www.libsdl.org
Why I think SDL + Perl will be a good gaming platform:
- Perl's philosophy (Simple things easy. Complex things possible).
- SDL is very stable and fast now
- Perl has already proven it can make good games (
What I am going to be doing:
- Making SDL Perl not leak like a diaper of a two tonne baby who just at
mexican for a week. (http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=49084)
- Updating SDL Perl's docs with good tutorials
- The falling block game (Tetris) I had in the presentation is being
cleaned and turned into a tutorial (http://github.com/kthakore/TetrisPL)
- Update to new SDL API
- Follow in Perl's philosophy and make (Simple Games Easy. Complex Games
- I have registered three name-spaces that will help accomplish this
- SDL::Game - Regular SDL Specific widgets (high scores, grids, ...) ,
extensions and so on (Breuno++ aka garu for this )
- Game::Tool - C/Perl implementations of Game Design Patterns, Algorithms
- Game::Base - Genre Specific but not SDL Specific base to make a game in
that genre. Game::Action, Game::Shooter (this is very simple but it shows
- Adhering to our philosophy of Simple Games Easy:
-The version for the modules in these namespaces will
-Make a simple game: Tetris
- Get core logic: 2d collision detection, linear game event manager
- Move it into appropriate name space as modules that work
independently: Game::Tool::Collision, Game::EventManager
- release v0.01 with new tutorial of Tetris in less then 100 lines of
- Repeat with Pong, Breakout, SideScroller (Mario) ... so on
- This way modules released are necessity designed not fantasy designed
Micheal as for your question to start as a game developer its simple.
Think of a game. ( Or help with the tutorials in SDL Perl :P )
Think of good data structures for it.
Hack Hack Hack.
Then go back and find out why your data structure was wrong.
Repeat to step 2
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the toronto-pm