[tpm] Perl as a career

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Sun Mar 8 16:46:26 PDT 2009

> This really bothers me and I'm unaware of a perl framework which attempts
> to deal with web ui widgets as widgets.

Back in 1999 and 2000 I worked at a company that attempted to create just
this -- the distribution was called SmartWorker, and we did it in Perl.  If
you google on "Smartworker Perl" you can find references to it, but I can't
find out where a source distribution still lives.  Perhaps Backpan would
help out with this.

Anyhow, it never really worked out.  It was dog slow, and it was ugly.  And
the business model attached to it never really panned out.

> My personal opinion is we are at the mercy of managers who care about
> pretty
> pictures and rounded corners and designers who care about the same thing.

To this I would add "And rightly they should!"

The reason why managers care is because their customers and/or investors
care.  Users want some combination of form and function in their software.
They don't care about the back-end that provides it.

Cheers,
 - Richard