[tpm] [Fwd: Technical questions]

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:15:04 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM,  <arocker at vex.net> wrote:
> I've been asked these questions, and I'm looking for some more qualified
> opinions:
>
> 1. What open source or low cost proprietary tools would you suggest for
> developing interaction (including updates) between a web front end and
> Oracle 10 (not sure which sub-version) ?

Perl, with DBI? Is this a trick question? ;)

No idea. Wikipedia's page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_database

> 2. In OO design, how do you model the common scenario where two sets of
> data with different fields are brought together, producing a third dataset
> whose fields comprise most of the source dataset fields, plus derived
> attributes ?

Isn't that polymorphism? Wikipedia link here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphism_in_object-oriented_programming#Perl

> Is the object the final output ?

It can be.

> If so, how do you
> represent the input datasets and attributes ?

Attributes of A and B become attributes of the combined object AB, I
suppose .. derived attributes would have whatever names they want, as
long as they don't create confusion about where they came from.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario