[tpm] Net::SCP and Net::SFTP modules

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:13:39 PST 2008

try running strace on it in the foreground, and in the background.

if you think it's the %ENV settings, why not Data::Dumper them.
probably better to custom dump them tho, so it's sorted.

print join("\n", map { "$_=$ENV{$_}" } sort keys %ENV), "\n";

the at command will run things quickly in the same environment as
cron, that can speed up your test cycles.  at -f xxxx now, or
at now <<HERE
my command line
HERE

however, you've done a lot of work on the environment angle, without
progress, so i think it's foreground vs background.  i'll bet it's
thinking about prompting for a password.  maybe doing this ...

by-your-command < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1

will change something if you run it in the foreground?

or how about

echo "farboo" > junk
by-your-command < junk > junkout 2>&1

try running in from the shell, but background it with &  processes
spawned by & still have access to the console.  you might want to put
some extra code in the perl to totally detach, see what happens.  put
this at the top ...

use POSIX qw(setsid :sys_wait_h);

defined(my $pid=fork) or die "cannot fork process:$!";

if ($pid) {
  do {
    print "waiting for $pid\n";
    $kid = waitpid($pid,0);
    $status = $?;
  } until $kid > 0;

  if ( WIFEXITED($status) ) {
    print "exit ", WEXITSTATUS($status), "\n";
    exit 1 if WEXITSTATUS($status);
    exit 0;
  } elsif ( WIFSIGNALED($status) ) {
    print "signal ", WTERMSIG($status), "\n";
    exit 2;
  }

  exit 3;
}