[Thousand-Oaks-pm] Perl on Android

John Kirk johnnkirk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:12:24 PDT 2014

Hi Barry,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Barry Brevik <barry at manicreader.com> wrote:

>  I don’t know about the Android Virtual Device thingy.
>
> Of course I’m planning to write a Perl app for my phone, heh heh. I think
> I’ll start with an app that will determine if my servers are up and
> running. I can’t use ping because the servers ignore it, and all of the low
> numbered ports are shut off.     ~~Barry Brevik

  I installed, way back, a coupla things on my LG Intuition phone (which I
haven't yet rooted), that I still haven't found out how to use or do
anything useful with.  One shows up as "PerlAPK" and the other as "SL4A".

  I've found lots of online stuff about the latter, a google code project
that's now hosted at:

     https://github.com/damonkohler/sl4a

where there's a README.md if you scroll to the bottom, after the files list.

  For the former, all I know is at:

https://code.google.com/p/perl-android-apk/downloads/detail?name=PerlAPK.apk

where it says "This is just an example script, which can be replaced with
your own scripts (see the Wiki for more details)" and there's a "Wiki" link
at the top of the page, which goes to:

      https://code.google.com/p/perl-android-apk/w/list

so maybe something there would help.  So far, with the limited time I've
invested exploring, I haven't gotten to where I can write Perl to execute
on my phone, nor stuff like installing CPAN modules.  (I like using PDL a
lot, for instance, which isn't a trivial download.)

  I sure can think of lots of stuff I'd like to do on Android, in Perl,
once I get a bit further.

  A key intention I had in playing with my BeagleBone Black has been to
install Android on it, use it with a 2 Tb USB disk, keyboard, mouse,
display and Wifi dongle to enable developing Android mobile apps in Android
instead of having to cross-compile from another environment.  I've got
everything together for that except getting an Android ISO to boot and my
Wifi dongle to reliably work across reboots (in Angstrom).

  There's enough stuff not working to qualify as fun for any
died-in-the-wool techie.

              regards,     --  John Kirk    (267)  882-7777