[Thousand-Oaks-pm] Introduction to building CPAN distributions

Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer jeff at imaginative-software.com
Thu Jan 10 00:26:36 PST 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 11:57 PM, David Oswald wrote:

> The slides for this evening's presentation on the "nuts and bolts" of
> a basic CPAN distribution are on slideshare at:

Great deck!  Sorry I couldn't be there.  I definitely think it is worth creating one CPAN distribution by hand, before jumping to tools like Dist::Zilla.  Until you've made and managed all those files by yourself, the workflow for D::Z may not seem obvious.  But once you've done a couple dists the old fashioned way, you'll definitely want to (and really enjoy) using D::Z.

IMHO, registering modules is totally unnecessary.  If you're the first to release a module with a given name, then it is yours -- even if you never register it.  The only folks that still seem to register modules are those who control the registry.

Also IMHO, people fuss over namespaces way too much.  If your module fits nicely into an existing namespace, then great.  If not, then don't torture yourself over creating a new one.  Call it Tarantula or MoonBeam or whatever.  Then focus your energy on making sure your code is well organized into meaningful packages within your chosen namespace.  If it's good, people will find it no matter what you call it.

May a thousand distros bloom!    -- Ancient Chinese proverb

-Jeff