[Thousand-oaks-pm] Minutes of 9/14/05 meeting

Daniel.Sherer@healthnet.com Daniel.Sherer at healthnet.com
Thu Sep 15 09:48:03 PDT 2005

Hey fellow Perl enthusiasts!

Present at last night's meeting were:

   Daniel Sherer
   James Kiser
   Aran Detac
   Paul Jacobs
   Jim Walker
   Andrew Woods

We talked about recent progress we've made with our website
(http://thousand-oaks-perl.org) and Andrew had a list of ideas that he
thought would be useful.

However, Andrew will be leaving on 9/23 for a contract up in Seattle.  So,
he will only be able to implement some of those great ideas.  Andrew will
try to send out his list for all of us to comment on.  He'll try to make
some of the changes before he leaves.  But after that, we'll need to get
additional volunteers from one place or another.

One of the suggestions that was well received was to allow members to
upload info (like name, photo, personal link, comments, etc.)  I agreed to
get an input/upload form working on the site so that each of us can
contribute as we see fit.

Another idea was a "suggestion form" so that members and nonmembers alike
can give us ideas to improve the meetings.

We thought it would be cool to allow members to post links to their sites
where they have interesting/useful coding and ideas.  For example,

      Andrew's site http://opensourcetech.xwiki.org has a portable script
that you can run to inspect for installed Perl Modules.

      Aran's site http://arandeltac.com has a cool remote file editor that
can be very nice if you have to update files on a non-unix system.

We talked some more about how users prefer to read their technical books.
Most of the members either have or had subscriptions to O'Reilly's "Safari"
bookshelf.   That system is pretty good but I re-raised my personal
preference for the old books on CD format because I can copy them to my
thumbdrive, edit them to correct errata/missing index items/etc and then
carry them everywhere I go.

I mentioned that we (the group) occasionally get requests from recruiters
looking for candidates.  I agreed to try to forward these to the group so
that we can decide how to handle them in the future.  But that we thought
http://jobs.perl.org was a better place to refer recruiters/candidates to.

I mentioned that for next month's meeting, I have one book so far.  It's
"Higher Order Perl" by Mark Jason Dominus.  James asked if we could also
get a copy of "Perls of Wisdom".  I'll look into getting a review copy.

Paul mentioned that he might be able to present on Modperl2 and Apache2 at
next month's meeting but he has to check his calendar.

Meeting adjourned at 8:00 AM

Daniel Sherer
Manager, ITG Data Warehouse
Health Net
(818) 676-7592

This  message,together  with  any  attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed. It may contain information
that is confidential and prohibited from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that  any dissemination  or copying of this
message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this message in error, please notify
the  original  sender immediately by telephone or by
return e-mail and delete this message, along with any
attachments, from your computer.  Thank you.