[Thamesvalley-pm] Java - just say no was Re: [Vote] First Meeting

Chad Hanna chad at chadhanna.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 04:23:11 PDT 2007

Raf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Chad Hanna wrote:
>
> :snip
>> As far as talks go, I'd be happy to talk about 'my' mod-perl based site
>> www.FamilyHistoryOnline.net so you can all tell me where I went wrong -
>> I was contemplating a major revamp this year, but it looks like 'most'
>> of it will be moving to a Websphere based site run by someone else. But
>> not in July.
>>

> That would be great!
>
> You're going to rebuild it in Java?  I'm curious as to why?

Hi Raf,

Not me!

The powers that be have decided that another organization with an
existing Websphere-based site can put more marketing muscle behind the
genealogical data and that (most of) the data will move to the other
site and the existing site will close. They will face a number of
interesting challenges along the way - including dealing with nearly 300
different ways of organizing names, dates, place names into files.

I'm somewhat interested in redeveloping the software to run on my own
server and take in the data that the other site will not want. I was
looking at Catalyst or Ruby on Rails as the basis for the new site -
there is also an argument for basing it on PHP - ugh.

> On a Javaish note, would anyone be intersted in learning about EPIC, the
> Perl plugin for Eclipse?  I've been using it for over a year now and
> haven't met anyone to try and subsequently loath it.  I'm a emacs guy at
> heart, but I'd be happy to demo if there's interest?

Heard about it, have it installed on this computer (I think) but haven't
tried it yet. Would like to know more.

Chad

--
Chad Hanna