[Thamesvalley-pm] calling all Perl newbies!

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 03:16:17 PDT 2007

Richard Dawe wrote:
> So is the message sent to the user something like this?
>
> multipart/mixed
> +- text/plain part containing the "we think this is spam" text
> +- message/rfc822 part containing the original (suspected) spam
>
> When the user forwards the message, what are you expecting? From the
> list of clients, I guess it could be anything. Are you hoping for
> something like this?
>
> multipart/mixed
> +- text/plain part containing whatever text the user added on forwarding
> +- message/rfc822
>    +- text/plain part containing the "we think this is spam" text
>    +- message/rfc822 part containing the original (suspected) spam

yes, thats what we hope for! The mixture of users' grasp of email and
the variety of clients means that we often dont get this. However, there
is a project to move our internal collab suite from GW to Exchange which
will lower the number of variables but with the side-effect of producing
messages with no headers of any use at all!

If I can somehow extract the queue identifier and the relay that
provided it I could probably arrange to extract the original message
from a temporary "quarantine" on the relay. This would be the best of
all worlds as I can sidestep the "user problem". However, it is
dependent on:
a) an upgrade to the relays to provide the extra space required to keep
a "quarantine" of maybe a fortnights email.
b) being able to extract the required information from the email sent by
the user. Exchange is likely to strip anything useful out of the headers
but perhaps I can inject it into the spam warning.

> You have my sympathy there. I had to play "guess what the original
> message headers were" often at $OLD_JOB.

;)

> Give me a shout if I can help at all, when you get round to it.

I may well do! thanks

GREG

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445