SPUG: self-study recommendations?

David H. Adler dha at panix.com
Wed Oct 3 04:11:50 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 08:45:12PM +1000, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> On 02/10/12 01:40, Ivan Heffner wrote:
> >I'm not immediately familiar with _Intermediate Perl_ or _Modern
> >Perl_, several years back, I picked up _Perl Objects, Modules, &
> >References_ <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596004781.do> and
> >would recommend it as a next step after _Learning Perl_.
>
> I'm pretty sure that "Intermediate Perl" is the new PORM.  There's
> also "Mastering Perl" by the same authors and collaboration to fill
> out the set.

I am absolutely sure that it's the new PORM. In fact, I may have even
tech edited an earlier edition. It is intended to fill the space PORM
had, but now fits more neatly into the Learning Perl, Intermediate Perl,
Mastering Perl title model.

> Another good option is Effective Perl Programming, which has a lot
> of lovely recipes and hints in it.

Agreed. The 2nd edition is more up to date and somewhat different than
the original. The first edition is probably still an interesting read,
but in practical terms, go for the 2nd.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Your question doesn't make any sense. You might as well ask whether