SPUG: Lawyers, oh my Re: JOB: LAMP developer, contract, telecommute

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Fri Sep 3 04:35:28 PDT 2010

100,000,000 row tables: The problem with putting your mouth around a fire hose
is: how do you pull it out without the stream ripping off your face?
(WARNING: People with bodies attached are not advised to try this in the
first place.)

InnoDB.. wow, I thought I had problems with MyISAM. BTW, you do know that
Oracle now owns much of your (future) database codebase?

3270... wow! Nah, I do (or rather I should say "have done") the old DEC stuff.
;-)

Now... I have had some counterintuitive experiences with my current employer
tuning InnoDB databases which are constantly trampled into the mud. As far as
I know, I can share those publicly.

I feel for you, barrister Eagan. However technology changes (and with it the
practitioners, driven as they are by the need to eat... silly meat puppets),
and successful systems have a really nasty habit of outgrowing their success.
There's plenty of lit about these phenomena.

A track about Really Large Databases and the Data Streams That Feed Them
might get me to attend BarCampTacoma
http://barcamptacoma.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Just a thought...

--

Fred Morris

On Wednesday 01 September 2010 16:02, SPUG Jobs wrote:
> [...]
> Required Skill Sets:
> - Perl 5.x (CGI, DBI, daemons) Required
> - MySQL 5.0 (InnoDB tables, Foreign Keys, Backup, Repair, Optimization)
>   Required
> - Telnet 3270 (t3270 and x3270 scripting/scraping) Required
> - Linux Ubuntu (9.x, cron management) Desired
> - Apache 2.x (SSL, .htpasswd, CGI/Perl) Desired
>
> Contract/Perm:
> - Part-Time Contract Work (Side Project)
>
> Expected Duration and Pay Range:
> - Duration is ongoing Part-Time and Maintenance
> - Rate is negotiable with client (has office in downtown Seattle - Pioneer
>   Square)
>
> W-2 vs. 1099 status:
> 1099 Independent Contractor
>
>    Work involves maintaining and improving existing codebase on a
> series of Perl daemons and scripts which are started by crontab to
> search and categorize public records data. Database fell over after a
> couple years of applying band-aids to keep the DB running under severe
> loads and tables with nearly 100 million records. I'm the original
> developer, but a couple other developers have assisted in some of the
> development. Code is 100% in Perl, some components are simple scripts,
> some are daemons, some are Perl/CGI through Apache. Right now, more
> than anything, the database needs to be repaired or rebuilt if
> possible, knowledge of how to accomplish that is beyond my skills, I
> have been working as a Windows UI developer for 8+ years now,
> databases and LAMP skills are no longer in my skills inventory in any
> relevant way.
> [...]
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM, James C. Egan <james at eganattorney.com>
wrote:
> > Dear Seattle Perl Group and Tim
> >
> > Tim Partee is a programmer that has developed a database program I have
that
> > apparently is corrupted. Apparently I need to find a LAMP developer to fix
> > an immediate problem. I do not know the lingo nor the specific problem, so
> > I hope my programmer Tim Partee and the Seattle Perl group can help post a
> > request for help shortly. I will pay for the fix, but would hope the Perl
> > group or potential programmer can speak directly with Tim (cc me on all)
and