SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Ryan Corder ryanc at greengrey.org
Fri Jan 30 14:58:49 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 02:01:37PM -0800, Joshua ben Jore wrote:
| > VERSION => '0.1.2',

[snip]

| FWIW, you never want to use multi-dot version numbers in perl. It's
| possible and version.pm goes to some effort to heal the past but
| there's no point in re-inventing badness.

    use version; our $VERSION = qv("0.1.2");

On one line, just like that -- this is an "Extended Version" as documented
in 'perldoc version'.  The documentation does state neither Module::Build nor
ExtUtils::MakeMaker completely handles version objects natively, then again I
use Module::Install as my build-system.

Damian Conway goes into detail on why you need to do it this way and why it
needs to be on one line in chapter 17 of /Perl Best Practices/.  I just read
the chapter last night, otherwise I wouldn't be replying to this thread :)

later.
ryanc

--
Ryan Corder                  ||     () ASCII ribbon campaign
<ryanc at greengrey.org>     ||     /\  against HTML email