SPUG: version numbers and MakeMaker

Joshua ben Jore twists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:01:37 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Christopher Howard <choward at indicium.us> wrote:
> I'm creating my first Makefile.PL, and had a question: There is one
> key/value pair for the version number. I have seen it like this in examples:

> VERSION => 1.4,
>
> But if the version number of my app is, say 0.1.2, what should the line look
> like?
>
> VERSION => '0.1.2',
>
> or
>
> VERSION => 0.001.002

FWIW, you never want to use multi-dot version numbers in perl. It's
possible and version.pm goes to some effort to heal the past but
there's no point in re-inventing badness.

Perl handles three-argument version numbers by just saying that each
part is actually three digits. Perl 5.10.0's $] variable holds
5.010000. Right now, it's the best practice for implementing a version
number in perl.

Josh