SPUG: Regexp::Assemble question

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Wed Feb 25 12:55:49 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Mark Mertel wrote:

> Mr. Sweger,
>
> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that Mr. Krahn's comments are all
> perfectly valid, and I can detect no ill intent, or slander towards
> the original poster. His are the types of comments to be expected
> during a professional code review. Were these directed at code I had
> written, I would welcome them rather than take them personally.

I'm somewhere in the middle.  Having read the OP twice, I now read it
as ambiguous.  It could either be subtly hostile, or detachedly factual.

On the first reading, I thought to myself, "How annoying.  Entirely
correct, but annoyingly offputting", and agreed (privately) with Andy
for defending this list as a "safe haven" for asking questions.

Upon reading Mark's comments, I reread the OP and could see another
interpretation:  just facts and opinions devoid of a personal attack.

Unfortunately, that leaves me agreeing with Mark *and* Andy.

I guess my $0.02 would, therefore, be something we all know -- it's
difficult to infer tone from emails, so err on the side of humility,
sensitivity, and creating the kind of "community rewrite" that Larry
suggested we should be doing.  We need to make sure that the uber-l33t
(as in misspelled "lete", short for elite -- a word I had to look up)
make a safe place for newbies to progress through baby Perl to full
fluency.  We don't want to scare them away to another language
community.  That would be a loss for us and for them.

Thanks, *ALL*, for being a community enough to encourage questions,
answer them, and ensure a safe place for those conversations....

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!
         MichaelRWolf at att.net