SPUG: JOB: Perl SE in medical device startup near Space Needle

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Mon Nov 26 12:15:12 PST 2007

NeuroVista Corporation is an early-stage medical device company devoted
to pioneering technology for the management and treatment of epilepsy.
We are in the process of building a world-class team of professionals
who are motivated by the opportunity to make a significant contribution
to the health and well-being of others.

NeuroVista Corporation has openings for the following positions:

- Software Engineer Perl
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Quality Manager
- Senior Embedded Software Engineers

Details for each are included below:

Software Engineer Perl

NeuroVista Corporation is an early-stage medical device company devoted
to pioneering technology for the management and treatment of epilepsy.
We are in the process of building a world-class team of professionals
who are motivated by the opportunity to make a significant contribution
to the health and well-being of others.

As a Software Engineer on our high performance computing (HPC) team, you
will help define, design and implement software applications associated
with our state-of-the-art computational infrastructure and medical
device products. Our HPC system is capable of quickly performing
millions of experiments on our dataset of over 35 terabytes of
intracranial recordings - the world's largest.

This position works within the group that is growing our state-of-the-
art computational infrastructure system and will require in depth
knowledge of PERL.

Primary Responsibilities

- Contributing to the definition, design, test and review of software
  modules and applications supporting the Company's high-performance
  computing infrastructure.
- Using expert-level PERL programming skills, aids in the development
  and modification of our PERL-based programming application for batch
  control and UI functions associated with the HPC system.
- Documenting results of your design and development activities in a
  manner consistent with our project plans, policies and procedures.

Qualifications

- 3+ years in-depth PERL programming skills, preferably for PC
  applications.
- 3+ years experience with database and UI programming. CGI, Tk
  programming optimal.
- Expertise in some form of database programming such as MySql, Sql.
- Experience with configuration management software, build systems and
  issue tracking software.
- Exposure to software development in an FDA, or other regulated,
  environment preferred.
- Small and/or early-stage company experience optimal.

The Intangibles

- Exceptionally team focused, self-motivating and passionate for
  innovation and quality.
- Organized with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong, effective presentation and interpersonal skills desired.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards, actively promotes
  trust, respect and integrity in all dealings both inside and
  outside the Company.

NeuroVista is located across the street from the Space Needle in
Seattle, Washington. All members of our team enjoy a collaborative,
dynamic work environment and a superior comp/benefits/perks package
which includes all the "usuals" in addition to equity, in-facility
health club, transportation allowance, Friday team breakfasts, plus
rewards for achievement and contribution.

To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter via
email to work at neurovista.com with 457923 in the Subject line.

Senior Software Engineer

NeuroVista Corporation is an early-stage medical device company devoted
to pioneering technology for the management and treatment of epilepsy.
We are in the process of building a world-class team of professionals
who are motivated by the opportunity to make a significant contribution
to the health and well-being of others.

We're working on a really cool system of implantable medical devices
that will enable epilepsy patients to better control their seizures. If
you know anyone with epilepsy, you know what an incredibly positive
impact this type of discovery could have on their lives and their
families' lives.

We have several groups of really smart, intensely focused engineers
working on this product. One group is focused on the software
applications for each component of the system. The Sr. Software
Engineers in this group play a pivotal role in our product
development cycle.

Our Senior Software Engineers in the Software Applications group will
help define, design and implement software applications associated with
the company's platform of products.

Primary Responsibilities
Among other challenges, you will be responsible for:
- Designing and implementing key PC applications and modules needed to
  implement NeuroVista's platform of products.
- Enhancing and maintaining the application software infrastructure for
  our high performance computing system.
- Documenting the results of design and development activities in a
  manner consistent with the project plan and associated document
  control policies and procedures.

Qualifications
- BSCS, BSEE, or equivalent required.
- 8+ years software development for PC applications.
- 3+ years .NET software development.
- Expertise in unit test development as part of software development.
- Software development for medical devices or other disciplined
  environment required.
- Small company or start-up experience optimal.

Software and Hardware Skills
- Significant breadth and depth of expertise in developing large PC
  applications.
- Expert level skill in C# required; proficiency in C++ or Java optimal.
- Expertise in .NET, database (MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server), user
  interface (WinForm desired).
- Unit test framework: NUnit desired.
- Scripting languages: Perl desired.
- Source/revision control systems: Perforce desired.
- Design tools: UML, data flow diagrams.

The Intangibles
- Highly motivated and self-directed.
- Strong results orientation, i.e. consistently delivers on time
  with quality.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- Comfortable working within a start-up environment.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards and actively promotes
  trust, respect and integrity in all dealings both inside and outside
  our Company.

NeuroVista is located across the street from the Space Needle in
Seattle, Washington. All members of our team enjoy a collaborative,
dynamic work environment and a superior comp/benefits/perks package
which includes all the "usuals" in addition to equity, in-facility
health club, transportation allowance, Friday team breakfasts, plus
rewards for achievement and contribution. Relocation assistance will be
provided for this position.

To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter via
email to work at neurovista.com with 444380 in the Subject line.

Software Quality Manager

NeuroVista Corporation is an early-stage medical device company devoted
to pioneering technology for the management and treatment of epilepsy.
We are in the process of building a world-class team of professionals
who are motivated by the opportunity to make a significant contribution
to the health and well-being of others.

We're working on a really cool system of implantable medical devices
that will enable epilepsy patients to better control their seizures. If
you know anyone with epilepsy, you know what an incredibly positive
impact this type of discovery could have on their lives and their
families' lives.

We have several groups of really smart, intensely focused engineers
working on this product. The Software Quality Manager is responsible for
providing leadership and direction during new product development to
ensure that the design, development and verification that product
software complies with product specifications and regulatory
requirements. This includes managing both internal and external
resources to develop verification test plans and oversee execution of
protocols. You will play a key role in providing guidance and direction
on acceptability of software quality deliverables prior to clinical
studies and market release.

Primary Responsibilities
Among other challenges, you will be responsible for:

- Participating in new product development projects to ensure software
  used in the development and manufacture of medical device systems is
  developed, deployed and maintained in accordance with company and
  regulatory requirements. Able to generate appropriate software
  development life cycle deliverables as required per IEC 62304.
- Participating in software development processes, software requirements
  analysis and software documentation, including but not limited to
  Software Requirements Specification, Software Design Description,
  Software Test Plans and Software Test Procedures.
- Managing the development of both automated software tests and manual
  software test protocols to ensure that software complies with
  performance, safety and regulatory requirements.
- Promote a structured software verification process.
- Champion the automation of verification protocols when appropriate and
  oversees their implementation.
- Participate in new product development team design control meetings
  and design reviews. Performs Failure Mode Effects and Analysis (FMEA).
- Review and approve project software deliverables for compliance
  against applicable standards and internal protocols.
- Write technical reports to support submissions to regulatory agencies.

Qualifications

- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or
  equivalent experience required.
- 8+ years working in a regulated industry as a Software or
  Quality Engineer required. Includes a minimum of 3 years in a
  supervisory role.
- Previous experience with medical device and Class III implantables
  preferred.
- Strong knowledge of external standards, including Part 820, ISO 13485
  and IEC 62304 or other software life cycle standards within a
  regulated industry.
- Experience with new product development and product realization
  required
- Start up or small company experience preferred

Software and Hardware Skills

- Strong working knowledge in one or more of the following languages:
  Perl, C++, C#
- Experience with test development frameworks.
- Experience with automated verification tests preferred.

The Intangibles

- Demonstrates high engineering thinking that is based on both driving
  business objectives and product quality/reliability improvements.
- Ease with developing strong working relationships to ensure superior
  customer service and solutions.
- Extremely organized with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong, effective presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Superior project management & organizational skills, proven record of
  consistently following through on commitments.

email to work at neurovista.com with 455244 in the Subject line.

Senior Embedded Software Engineers

NeuroVista Corporation is an early-stage medical device company devoted
to pioneering technology for the management and treatment of epilepsy.
We are in the process of building a world-class team of professionals
who are motivated by the opportunity to make a significant contribution
to the health and well-being of others.

Our Sr. Embedded Software Engineers play a key role in the
definition and development of embedded software used in NeuroVista's
platform products.

Primary Responsibilities
- Architecting designing and developing embedded software for Class III
  Medical Devices.
- Contributing to and authoring necessary project documentation
  including requirements, interface controls, design and
  failure/risk analyses.
- Creating, maintaining and consistently meeting software development
  schedules.
- Working with hardware engineers to help define and review designs
  prior to hardware fabrication; supporting the initial board bring-up
  and hardware verification with appropriate software.
- Resolving project and design issues efficiently and effectively.
- Participating in our cross-functional environment for product
  definition, project and design reviews.
- Helping to manage the development of validation test plans and
  reports.
- Aiding in the management, support and execution of our software
  testing efforts.
- Helping to define and manage the software development process in
  accordance with Company, AAMI, European, and FDA QSR policies.
- Supporting and participating in the market launch of
  NeuroVista's products.

Qualifications
- BS/MS in CS/EE or equivalent required.
- 8+ years product development experience in the medical device
  industry.
- 3+ years in the development of embedded software for medical devices.
- 3+ years working under a controlled software development environment,
  preferably under FDA QSR and ISO-13485 design control requirements.
- Experience with MSP430 and/or other microcontrollers in very low power
  applications is required.
- Experience with architecting and developing fail-proof bootloaders
  is required.
- Experience with wireless systems and/or communications protocols
  is required.
- Familiarity with automated build systems an asset.

Software and Hardware Skills
- Extensive experience with standard electronic lab equipment
  including hardware emulation systems, oscilloscopes, logic
  analyzers, lab power supplies.
- Expertise with MS Office products, including MS Project, Adobe
  Acrobat, Perforce, Agile, Assemblers and Compilers.

The Intangibles
- Extremely organized with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong, effective communication skills for technical documentation,
  presentations, and team interactions.
- Superior organizational skills, proven record of consistently
  following through on commitments.
- Comfortable working within a start-up environment.
- Exceptionally team focused, self-motivating and passionate for
  innovation and quality.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards, actively promotes
  trust, respect and integrity in all dealings both inside and
  outside the Company.

NeuroVista is located across the street from the Space Needle in
Seattle, Washington. All members of our team enjoy a collaborative,
dynamic work environment and a superior comp/benefits/perks package
which includes all the "usuals" in addition to equity, in-facility
health club, transportation allowance, Friday team breakfasts, plus
rewards for achievement and contribution.

To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter via
email to work at neurovista.com with 444375 in the Subject line.

Relocation assistance will be provided for this position.