SPUG: number

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Thu Sep 21 13:35:14 PDT 2006

Of course, regular expressions could help..

if ( $number =~ /5$/ ) {

}

I forget that there are other "core" utilities (Damian calls them
"non-builtin built-ins" -- Scalar::Util, List::Util, List::MoreUtils).

If you had to do work to figure out that it is a number, you could try this
(untested) code.

use Scalar::Util;

$is_numish = looks_like_number($string);
if ($is_numish && $string =~ /5$/) {
    body....
}

--