SPUG: oscon 2006

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Fri Jul 14 14:13:28 PDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006, John Costello wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Dave Coleman wrote:
> >
> >> hey all-
> >>    I've been offered an 'exhibits-only' pass for OSCON, and I was curious if it's worth a day trip or two.  I've never been, so what can I expect?
> >
> >I haven't been, but Portland alone is worth a day trip if you like food,
> >beer, or riverfronts.
>
> Don't forget a trip to Powells Book's technical book store.

I left the main store out of my mention, because I'm reconsidering my
fondness of one monolithic store (of which I have fond memories) compared
to the many small, odd bookstores in Seattle.  You're right to mention the
tech store, though.  Even if one doesn't want to buy a book, there are a
number of very old computers spread throughout the store to trigger one's
memories.

>From the convention center, take Max to Old Town (free ride, first stop
on the other side of the river) and walk away from the river along Couch
Street.  Couch, by the way, is pronounced "cooch" even though Mr. Couch
pronounced his name "cowtch".  Powell's Technical is at 33 NW Park Ave,
between Burnside and Couch on the west side of the Park Blocks.

 > Bill

John