SPUG: Unidentified Flying Objects

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Jan 10 12:25:15 PST 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Fred Morris wrote:

> So I am going to try to explain this, and then at the end there is a little
> standalone Perl script which runs and demonstrates just how easy it is to
> change the class of an object in midair using Perl.

Way back in 1999, a mild mannered coworker demonstrated a script that
would use the Perl class name as a kind of state attribute as it managed a
huge pool of flying objects. My only response was, "That is so cool! And
sick."

Somehow it seems to defeat the purpose of the academic OO model. But
that's just because I can't think of a practical example of where this
technique would actually be helpful to understanding the solution to a
problem.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.