SPUG: list moderation

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Sat Dec 16 16:59:26 PST 2006

This message is an indirect response to Steve's mention of recent messages
being moderated on the SPUG list.

For a long time, the SPUG mailing list has only permitted subscribers to
post messages to the list. This was done for various reasons. Probably the
biggest was to help stop unwanted or irrelevant messages from going to the
list subscribers. Then, a while back (maybe early this year), I set the
option that marks all new subscribers to the list to have their posts
moderated. I did this in response to a few instances where one would
subscribe to the list to simply start sending their recruiting messages to
the list subscribers without consulting (or possibly circumventing) the
member policy on job advertising. When a new member makes their first post
to the list now, it will be moderated. If I approve the message, I also
clear that member's moderation flag so that any future submissions will go
through without delay. So far, I don't think I have let any message (that
would be approved) sit in the moderation queue for more than six hours. I
never made the change public (I don't think I did) and I'm not aware of
any problems that have been created as a result of the policy change.

If any one is worried about the timely delivery of messages from new
subscribers, I would be happy to add other established and respected
members to the moderator's list. Since I enabled this new-subscriber
moderation feature, I have only had to moderate about 20 messages. Of
those, about half were approved to the list. Of the other half, maybe one
was rejected outright and the rest were notified about how they can
successfully get their message to the SPUG subscribers.

(Oh, and "Hi!" to everyone. My apologies for dropping out of sight. All
work and no play make Homer something something...)

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.