SPUG: Future of SPUG?

Kevin Fink kevin-spug at fink.com
Thu Oct 20 08:10:06 PDT 2005

One idea that I'd like to float is having some of the meetings during
business hours, in a location near where (at least some subset of) SPUG
members work.

For those of us who work long hours and have families, taking an hour or
two out of a workday may be more palatable than an evening.  It certainly
would be for me.  And for many of us who work in the Perl world, taking
time off work to attend professional meetings is acceptable (and even
desirable - heck, I pay for my employees to attend out-of-town
conferences, so I'm certainly going to encourage them to attend free local
meetings!).

<wild_speculation> In the early days, many/most SPUG members were
INTERESTED in Perl rather than WORKING in Perl.  Nowadays, I think there
is a much larger and more robust group of professional Perl programmers
and associated technologists that either are members of SPUG, or should be
if they're not already. </wild_speculation>

I don't think this will work for everyone, hence the suggestion that SOME
meetings should be tried during business hours.

Thoughts?

Kevin