SPUG: The SPUG Report, 15 February 2005

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Wed Feb 16 09:16:45 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Andrew Sweger wrote:
[Andrew yells.]

I am still newbie-ish enough that I would have loved to show, but wedding
plans are sucking my time.  Yes, the announcement was a bit late, but it
was a great idea.  I would be interested in this format popping up again,
say after April. :^)

> I asked if anyone has been using Class::DBI [2]. Looks grand. But I wanted
> to hear war stories.

Ick.

> Then I showed off this crazy book library application that only works on
> Mac OS X and a cool Bluetooth barcode scanner and how I made my own
> barcode series and labels for tracking boxes of junk around my house.
> It'll use Perl someday. No, really.

AAUUUUGGGHHHH.  Something like that has been in the back of my brain for a
while, though I hadn't put Bluetooth in the mix.  What is it written in?
How do I persuade you to port it or recruit myself to put it in Perl?
(Cripes, I haven't even looked to see if Bluetooth devices work under
Linux.)

> Then a discussion of King County Council erupted on how they've all come
> down with insanity. Too bad Chubby & Tubby is gone. We could get a great
> deal on pitchforks.
>
> Thanks and good night. Next month we might have a presentation on debugging
> running mod_perl code in Apache.

That sounds interesting.

Thanks for posting the notes.

> --
> Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
>                                 things can go wrong at once.

John
-----
John Costello - cos at indeterminate dot net
"Better a witty fool, than a foolish wit."--Shakespeare, _Twelfth Night_