SPUG: Re: Re: Thanks :)

Daniel Sabath dan at concolor.org
Mon Jun 14 01:10:05 CDT 2004

On Jun 12, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Andrew Sweger wrote:
<snip>
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Daniel Sabath wrote:
>
>> So is there a reason the mailing list isn't being run through clamav
>> or
>> equivalent AV software?
>> Admittedly, out of the 195 virus's I've stopped, only one was
>> delivered
>> via SPUG so the problem doesn't seem too high.
>
> Only 195?

Yes. From March 25th to today, with a two week down time while I was
resolving a massively heinous server migration which turned nasty in
the middle as the HD on the original machine failed in the middle of
it. (whew)

But back to the virus question. 195 virii have been blocked. Here is
the analysis off the top of my head.

~80% of the viruses go to four accounts. An additional ~18% goes to two
more accounts with delivery to me personally of only two viruii since I
started monitoring. Of those two virii, both have been delivered via a
LINUX or Perl mailing list.

So two people are recipients of 80% of the virii that come into my
system since they each own multiple accounts.

Dan