SPUG: Showing progress in the browser

Joshua Lanza joshlanza at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:06:43 CST 2004

I've never had to do this, but I assume that sites like expedia use some
sort of refresh (meta tags or otherwise). On each refresh, the page checks
the long-running process's status, and returns HTML that says "still
processing" or gives the results of the process, depending on status. This
is probably the most cross-platform approach.

You could also expose a web service that returns process status based on the
browser's session. Depending on which browsers you need to support, you
could use something like XmlHttp in MsXml, which supports async web service
calls from the browser.

Another approach that occurs to me it to put the progress into a frame and
have it refresh, then notify the other frame(s) when the process is
finished. A little JavaScript involved there.

The first approach is probably the best.

Josh