SPUG: Showing progress in the browser

dan at concolor.org dan at concolor.org
Thu Jan 22 12:13:49 CST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:33:08AM -0800, Douglas Kirkland wrote:

> On Thursday 22 January 2004 09:14, Luis Medrano wrote:
> > List,
> >
> > I have a question I would like to show the progress on the CGI on the
> browser for example 10%, 20% 40% of complision. or something like that...Any
> one knows how I can do this??..
>

> I do not know how this can be done.  Most site that show how much is done do
> it by cheating.  They will take a good guess on how long it will take and
> display that information.

It occurs to me that you might be able to hold the http connection open
and feed the data through at a very slow rate. Perhaps along the lines
of a dot every second or so. This might cause problems
with some browsers timing out on the connection.

Another method I've actually seen is to use the refresh meta tag and
base it on a guesstamate of how long it should take.

-dan