SPUG: Seattle Perl Consortium

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Fri Aug 6 00:53:32 CDT 2004

Adam Monsen <haircut at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I would first suggest the name be changed to the "Seattle
> Programming Consortium", to de-emphasize the importance of Perl.

Agreed. If Perl is the right language (i.e. tool) for the project, so
be it. It will be important on its own merits. Let Perl stand on its
own merits in the market place. If it's the best for the project, then
it will serve a *business* purpose.

Being problem-centered rather than technology-centered is a
business-directed *pull* rather than a language-specific *push*. A
pull is much better from a business point of view. And this is a
business, not a hobby. Businesses have to solve business requirements.

As technologists, we (and I mean me, too) tend to look at the
technology rather than the business proposition. We (collectively)
lost sight of this in the bubble. Let's learn our (business) lessons.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net