SPUG: Perl/POD -> doxygen filter

Marc M. Adkins Marc.M.Adkins at Doorways.org
Sun Sep 7 16:59:32 CDT 2003

I got a wild hair several weekends ago and wrote some code to parse
POD-enabled Perl and generate fake C/C++ and doxygen comments.  The idea
being to use doxygen on Perl projects, even if they weren't meant for it.

The script does some guessing about what's in the POD.  Like it matches up
=item markers that have the same name as functions found in the Perl source.
So all that legacy Perl code with POD comments dovetails nicely with the
pretty pictures that doxygen can generate.

I've been having some fun running it against pieces of the standard Perl
library (the modules in @INC that just come with Perl).  I haven't tried
running it against the entire library yet, it takes long enough just to do
pieces of it (mostly doxygen time).  Still, it's kind of neat to see what it
will generate out of the IO:: or LWP:: subtrees.

I thought I might be able to get some local feedback on it prior to
packaging it up for release.  It's still pretty rough and a lot of things
are missing (I don't try to parse out variables, for example).  But it seems
to work OK on 80-90% of test cases I've used.

Anyone who is interested in this can find more information at:

	http://spugwiki.perlocity.org/index.cgi?doxyfilt

mma