A question of Style, was: SPUG: Sort an array question

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Wed Jan 1 22:27:18 CST 2003

"Jerome O'Neil" <joneil at cobaltgroup.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 04:06:04PM -0800, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
[...]
> > I for one would like that.  I know what POD *is*, have even used it on
> > occasion, but it would sure do me good to see some other's "favorite
> > ways".  Just like this current discussion is airing folks' accumulated
> > *practical* knowledge of _Perl_ style, you could focus us on the
> > *practical* knowledge of _POD_ style.
>
> I've followed the folowing conventions for the last three years, and it
> works well for me.  More importantly, it works well for the people that
> read and maintain my code droppings.
>
> I can't control how the thing will be maintained in the future, but I can
> at least facilitate easy maintenence.  I've found that older versions
> of my stuff continue to be documented in a similar fashion, which means the
> anonymous maintainers are at least using the tools.

Seeding a practice that's replicated!!!
  ['replicated' is 'peer reviewed', for some def'n of 'peer reviewed'. ]

That's good enough for a start.

> It also produces an attractive API document that is usefull for
> demonstrating progress to your boss, or any other "don't write code"
> types that might have an interest.

Or "don't read code" types....

BTW, that's what *I* am (or, I suspect anyone is) on any _first_ pass
over the code before I descend into a _second_ pass through the code.

[...]

> "The times, they are a changin'";
A subtle truth.   A sublime 1, in deed!  :-)

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net