SPUG: aliases, -> Korn Shell vs. PD-ksh

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Thu Jan 23 22:16:38 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:26:39PM -0800, Brian Hatch wrote:
>Now the question, why don't I use bash since bash does everything
>korn shell does and more?  Well, because
>
>	bash does too much
>	your linux distro is likely to have lots of
>	  customizations for bash which differ from
>	  distro to distro
>	I want a completely 'pure' environment to start
>	  with.  None of this 'alias rm="rm -i"' crap.

Add to that a good ``vi'' mode (bash's tends to do strange things), and
simple repeating of previous commands using ``r [prefix]''.  The latter is
the most important to me since I find it much easier to repeat previous
command by hitting ``r<enter>'' than the similar ``!'' repeat in bash and
the csh'ish shells.  I don't really like to have to do <shift>anything if
there's an easier way.

Unfortunately I find even ksh gets polluted by vendor's profiles so mine
has a bunch of ``unalias'' commands at the top.  The most obnoxious, of
these I find to be SuSE 8.1's ``which'' which returns something like
``sylpheed is /usr/local/bin/sylpheed'' instead of just the plain path
which of course it totally worthless in a script.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Now if there is one thing that we do worse than any other nation, it is
try and manage somebody else's affairs.''
    Will Rogers