SPUG:What's the best CPAN Module installer?

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Mon Feb 17 19:13:53 CST 2003

I just installed ActiveState build 804 of Perl 5.8.0 on my Win2000
laptop, and am in the process of re-installing all my modules that
were missing when I deinstalled 5.6.

I'd gotten wedged in the past, probably because I had a bastard (oops,
hybrid) set of installations from various CPAN installers.

Is one of the installers clearly superior?
 * c:/Perl/bin/ppm.bat
 * perl -MCPAN -eshell
 * <something else>

The limited reading/testing I've done has shown me this:

 * ppm.bat seems to be more elaborate
 * it doesn't have the latest versions of a module I'm interested in

How do you install modules in a WinDOS box?  Are you happy with it?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net