SPUG: FW: Giving up on computer jobs & usefulness of placement fi rms

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Wed Aug 13 11:08:05 CDT 2003

Folks,

	I have often been in a position to hire tech folks, and the number one
thing that impresses me when looking at a resume is personal interests.  A
programmer who writes programs for themselves in their free time is likely
to rise to the top, a network administrator who doesn't have a network at
their home isn't likely to perform well on the job.

	The thing that is the biggest red flag to me is an applicant who focuses a
lot on their industry certifications (especially MCSEs).  Having them isn't
a mark against them, but if it's what they put forward as proof that they
know what they're doing that tells me that they probably don't have much
real world experience, weather it's at work, school, noodling around at
home, etc.

Thanks,
Peter Darley